The Drinker and Shaw tank-type ventilator of 1929 was one of the first negative-pressure machines widely used for mechanical ventilation. Better known as the iron lung, this metal cylinder completely engulfed the patient up to the neck. A vacuum pump created negative pressure in the chamber, which resulted in expansion of the patient’s chest. This change in chest geometry reduced the intrapulmonary pressure and allowed ambient air to flow into the patient’s lungs. When the vacuum was terminated, the negative pressure applied to the chest dropped to zero, and the elastic recoil of the chest and lungs permitted passive exhalation.
- Excellent education link
- OSA refresher powerpoint with case studies
- Critical Care Update 2015: An evidence-based approach
- Oxygen and COPD Debunking the hypoxic drive theory (respiratory-care-sleep-medicine)
- Cystic fibrosis hope as new gene therapy improves condition
- Medical Alphabet
- Type II recall of specific lots of Zenhale on the market.
- New Bronchodilator Inhaler Device Chart
- OSA refresher powerpoint with case studies: OSA case study PowerPoint https://t.co/WGmdLGaRHtWednesday, 05.04.16 22:12
- Critical Care Update 2015: An evidence-based approach: Published on Jun 5, 2015Wednesday, 12.30.15 17:32
- Oxygen and COPD Debunking the hypoxic drive theory (respiratory-care-sleep-medicine) In patients with chron... https://t.co/xqoyNo07PlWednesday, 12.30.15 17:16
- Inhaler devices etc/ videos https://t.co/41EIpSjpsiWednesday, 10.28.15 15:50
- patients with a history of acute exacerbations of COPD: the Canadian Thoracic Society guidelines for preventing exac http://t.co/wgYcKywdmjThursday, 10.08.15 14:50
Tagsadults Airway Pressure Release Ventilation Amp ards asthma Asthma News canada Canadian Thoracic Society chest wall Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Conclusions copd Critical Care Medicine diagnosis Download Pdf Emphysema flu influenza Intensive Care Unit Lt Lung Function lungs mechanical ventilation medical news Medication medicine mortality Nbsp Nicotine Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Oxygenation Pdf peep pneumonia Powerpoint proportional assist ventilation Respiratory Care Respiratory Medicine risk Rrt Sleep spirometry Tidal Volume Ventilator virus